Thai iced tea is a popular drink in restaurants throughout the world.
When served with ice and coconut milk in a tall glass, the swirling contrast of colors provides a magnificent display.
Here is our recipe for traditional Thai iced tea.
- 4 Cups (960 ml) water
- 4 Black tea bags
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Anise stars
- 1 Cardamom pod (smashed)
- 2 Whole cloves
- 1 Cup of coconut milk (some people use half & half)
- Pour the water into your pot or pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add the black tea, spices, and sugar to the boiling water.
- Boil for 2 or 3 minutes and then remove the pot or pan from the heat.
- Allow the tea to cool and steep for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and spices from the pot or pan and discard them.
- Fill your cups with ice and then pour your tea into the cups, but leave enough room for the coconut milk.
- Pour the coconut milk on top of the tea and stir lightly.